The Applied Mathematics Department, formerly known as the Statistics Department was established in 1997 with an initial enrolment of 35 students. The department has gradually developed over the years since its establishment with regard to infrastructure and calibre of lecturers, among others. The development of the department has for these years produced many competent graduates in the areas of Statistics and Mathematics for both industry and academia who are excelling in their respective fields of endeavour. Also, the Applied Mathematics Department, apart from to its core mandate of teaching courses in statistics, conducting and publishing of research findings, supervising students’ research and providing teaching services to other departments within and without the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology. courses taught include Basic Statistics or Quantitative Techniques, Engineering Mathematics, etc.
The vision of the Applied Mathematics Department which is:
To be a leading department offering high quality practical career-focused training in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Actuarial Science and Management Science for national development.
To train career-focused middle-level manpower in the areas of Applied Statistics in close partnership with industry through the following:
- To offer the students on educational experience in Statistics and Actuarial Science that will prepare them to pursue productive careers and qualifies them to enter competitive graduate programmes; and
- To contribute to the advancement of statistical science through peer-reviewed research, and collaborate on the pursuit of knowledge across scientific disciplines.
- Provide consultancy services to private and public organizations in the area of applied of mathematics;
- Embark on outreach/community service programs aimed at providing services to meet the social and economic needs of the community.
- BTech in Applied Mathematics (Financial Statistics option) – Top-up
- BTech in Applied Mathematics (Health Statistics option) – Top-up
- Higher National Diploma Applied Mathematics (HND)